Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Curly's making fruit..(Epiphyllum guatemalense monstrose)

This is an "update" photo of the cactus fruit--October 3, 2007. I came home from work and birds had been working over the fruit. I tasted it, bland to sweet, maybe a little like fejoia or guava...very seedy, gelatinous...a new adventure.










The strange flowering cactus is making fruit...a Flickr friend, Tony from Sydney, say it's very likely edible. So, comes the time, I'll take a bite and let you know. The fruit starts small and green and turns to a very bright neon pink. The plant flowers in mid-summer, only at night and each blossom last only one night. Apparently the flowers are self-fertilizing because there isn't another pollinator near this plant; I simply rubbed pollen to stigma with my index finger...two hours later the flower closed and the next morning looked dead. Yet, fruit formed. This plant hangs outside on the back deck from about mid-April or May to about mid-October; then, it goes down to a sunny window in the basement room--now my painting studio. It stays there from mid-October to about May, then back up and outside on the deck.

No comments: